Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Obsession

Last Wednesday I finished the main part of the Pi Shawl and started working out a border.

I spent most of the evening knitting and ripping out until I came up with one I liked. Basically I played around with how faggoting and eyelet holes would look in different numbers of stitches of garter stitch.
I ended up with a 12 stitch, 4 row repeat that I liked quite a lot.

Then I got a little obsessed with knitting the edging.

I knit on it all night Thursday at knit night. It may have been the first time I've ever worked on only 1 project the entire night. We tried to figure out how long it would take. I asked my math friend who's bad at arithmetic to figure it out. We somehow came up with a crazy ass number like 7 hours.

Uh, no.

But I really really REALLY wanted to finish, so I plodded on.

It became kind of zen the way the Yarn Harlot was with her leaves. I knit nothing else (which is unheard of). Lots and LOTS of border stitches.

(By the way, in case anyone was wondering, there are 13,824 stitches in a 12 stitch border on a Pi Shawl.)


I finished it last night. Here it is blocking on my bed (which, conveniently has a round medalion pattern on it already)
Kind of cool, I thought, how the patterns overlap.
By the way, blocking wires totally rock. It took about an hour anyway, to get it all blocked out. I cannot even imagine doing it all with pins alone.

Pics of the finished project coming later when the light is good and it's not raining.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this stopped my heart!It's just wonderful. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Can't wait to see it in person! So what's next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....it looks great. Kudos to you for finishing so quickly...I would have worked on it for at least 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...just wow...i can only dream of being able to do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's stunningly gorgeous! Congrats on such a great FO. That is crazy how many border stitches there are..... makes me head hurt just to think about it!

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete