Monday, March 16, 2009

Cutting it close

So I know it sounded like that last post was my Friday the 13th, but actually, it was just Tuesday.

The rest of the week sucked too, but not as bad as Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday the kids had half days, and it got cold again (below freezing) after a few days of light jacket weather. I hate when that happens. It is clearly just mother nature faking you out.

Also, on Wednesday I found nits in my hair. Ugh. Molly sometimes uses my towel after taking a bath, so I assume that happened sometime over the weekend. And I really wrenched my back nit-combing Molly. So now I got to do it to myself too. Fun times. Also apparently lice treatment makes my hair curly.

Someone in the comments wanted to know if anyone in Molly's class had lice. No, not that we know of. The nurse checks the whole class. Basically no one we know has had lice but us. It must be something not here though. I can't understand it.

I got basically nothing done work wise. There was massive amounts of laundry. Really massive. And even when it was warm and lovely I couldn't hang it on the clothesline because it's the heat from the dryer that kills the eggs. There was whining and screaming and normal kid behavior, but more of it than normal because they were home instead of school.

Oh, and my favorite was when one of my friends told me that it was time to give the girls short hair cuts. I pointed out that it doesn't matter how long your hair is, and she said it's easier to keep it clean when it's short. I said it doesn't matter how *clean* it is. She keeps going on about "clean". Molly's hair is clean. MY hair is clean. Sheesh. She might as well have just said me and my kids are filthy slobs. Thanks. I kept trying to give her ways out of it and she kept making it worse. I swear, it doesn't matter how often you wash your hair. You can't wash lice out of your hair.

The only thing keeping me going for 2 days was the purple shawl.

I'd been working on it (almost) monogamously for about a week, and it should have been done on Tuesday.

I saw the sample of this stole at the Alpaca with a Twist open house last fall and fell in love with it. It's a Sharon Winsauer pattern called Sweet Honeysuckle Wrap. And was lovely. Soft, and drapy and wonderful.

So I was down the the second half of the border, and damn if I wasn't going to finish that thing. It was going to be the one good thing in my day.

When I had 1 long side left I started to become deeply concerned about the amount of yarn I had left. It should have been enough, because the pattern calls for 7 skeins of yarn, and 40 repeats of the lace pattern. I stopped at 36 repeats because it was already quite long.

When I got half way through the side I looked at my ball again and got really worried. I weighed the ball. 18g. I knit 1 point, and weighed the ball again. 17g. 17 points left. I knit 2 more points. 15g. ooo this is going to be close. I started to sweat it quite a lot. Also, I had a bit of beer (the border pattern is easy). I started knitting tighter. Trying to will the yarn to go further.

12:20 AM I made it. I had this much yarn left:


Damn that was close.

I had to stay up late to block it because I was determined to wear that baby to Thursday knit night. Sean woke up and came and snuggled with me for a bit before we went back to bed. He came out as I was finishing blocking. His comment: "Wow, Mommy, that sure is a skinny blanket."

6 comments:

  1. But its DONE!!! Cant wait to see photos of that "skinny blanket" completed, kids, lol gotta love em, ya can't put them back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL skinny blanket.. sounds like something my hubby would say and waking up because I wasn't in bed is something he would do too.
    I used to get lice a lot when I was young.. and no one else in my family! I think they just like some people better. ugh! I remember those treatments. I used to use one of those combs on my Shih-tzu dog to get baby fleas and eggs out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your "Oh come on" post, and I was wondering if you might be interested in trying something else. Tea Tree Oil works for preventing and getting rid of lice.
    For treatment:
    Add 10-20 drops 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil to an ounce (roughly the size of a quarter) of your shampoo, Apply to wet hair & scalp. Lather thoroughly for 5-10 minutes before rinsing. Repeat treatment in 12 hours. Continue to shampoo with tea tree oil once a day until clear of eggs & lice, then repeat treatment in 7-10 days.
    Treatment of combs, linens & brushes:
    1/2 ounce tea tree oil, 1 ounce glycerin, 2 ounces 190 proof vodka, and 1 ounce water. Soak items for 30 minutes (or overnight if preferred).
    Washing machine:
    Add 20 drops tea tree oil to washing machine.
    Prevention Shampoo:
    Add 10-15 drops to bottle of regular shampoo, can be used daily if desired.
    As a parent of an Autistic son, my heart goes out to you with trying to do the combing. I heard about the tea tree oil, and have used this with my son, so far it has worked.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell your 'friend' that lice prefer squeaky clean hair. Dirty hair supposedly repels them.

    (Possibly urban legend but you don't have to tell her that, lol!)

    Course, being a passive-aggressive heathen I'd be awfully tempted to save the combings and dump them in her car when she wasn't looking.

    Oh, I guess she isn't clean enough. /snerk

    ReplyDelete
  5. The clean hair comment would have railed me, too. Short hair is easier to get the nits out of since there's less of it, but that doesn't mean you have to cut your hair. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Wrap! I might have to have one...good luck with the lice- that's a mess!

    ReplyDelete