Friday, November 19, 2010

Fawkes

I finished the orange shawl yesterday. Blocking is the most miraculous thing in knitting. That blob of orange ramen noodles turned in to this:



My shawl inspired by Dumbledore's phoenix. I started it a year ago, churned it out quite fast until I hit the first beaded row and then apparently lost my love of it and it sat at the bottom of my WIP basket.



Every now and then it when I saw it in there it tugged at my mind, but for some reason I decided I didn't like beading it.





I'm terribly sorry dear shawl, I don't know what was wrong with me.



It also got a quick bath with some dye before blocking. I wasn't liking how the yellow streaks pooled, it competed with the lace. A little orange overdye and now it's much more subtle.

Ironically the pattern is Spring Things and it is decidedly NOT spring now. When I saw it I thought it looked much more like feathers and would make a perfect Fawkes. Yarn is Knit Picks Shimmer. I love the alpaca/silk, didn't care for the color repeats.



Now I'm off to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I. Not quite the midnight showing but 9 am is pretty good!

3 comments:

  1. feathersong (Benne)Fri Nov 19, 01:53:00 PM

    Fawkes is gorgeous! I love the overdye, the color is perfect for a phoenix rising from the ashes and the beads are a nice touch. It looks lovely on you, I'm so glad you finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Wow. The color, the pattern, the beads, the stitch work -- all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is AMAZING! And, great photos. Wow all around.

    ReplyDelete